Here are some notable historical events that occurred on August 6th:
- 1945 — The United States dropped an atomic bomb on the Japanese city of Hiroshima. It was the first time an atomic weapon had been used in warfare. About 80,000 people died.
- 1962 — The United States enacted Medicare legislation to provide health insurance for elderly Americans aged 65 and older.
- 1965 — The Voting Rights Act was passed in the US, outlawing racial discrimination in voting. It played a major role in the civil rights movement.
- 1978 — An uprising led by Ayatollah Khomeini in Iran led to the overthrow of Shah Reza Pahlavi. This resulted in the Islamic Revolution in Iran.
- 1993 — Legendary baseball player Nolan Ryan set a record by throwing his 5,000th strikeout.
- 2012 — NASA successfully landed the Curiosity rover on the surface of Mars. It was part of NASA’s Mars exploration program.
Those are some of the major historical events that took place on August 6th through history.